Swachh ranking: City takes in right spirit as leader in TN
tnn | Jun 25, 2018, 00:31 IST
Trichy: As the city comes to terms with the drop in rank in the Swachh Survekshan 2018 survey, locals are taking consolation in the fact that the city is the cleanest in the state. Trichy has dropped from rank six in the previous survey to 13 this year.
While the civic body is mulling its efforts to approach the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) seeking revaluation of marks scored by the city in service level progress (documentation), residents taking the ranking in the right spirit have urged the civic body to pursue cleanliness as a movement instead of ranking.
The slip in ranking in 2018 survey is attributed to poor documentation, as the city only managed to score 961 out of 1,400. In 2017 survey, the corporation managed to score almost full in documentation and also fared rather well in direct observation and citizen feedback.
While the corporation is yet to recover from the shock, residents setting aside the disappointment acknowledged the city corporation’s dedication for the Swachh survey.
“Still Trichy is cleanest among all other cities in the state including Chennai. We have to pursue cleanliness as a mission instead of approaching it only for marks,” said C Balasubramanian, Exnora honourary president, Trichy.
However, a section of corporation officials expressed their disappointment for not coming in the top 10 despite dedicated efforts.
“No other civic body in the state has put in such efforts as much as we did exclusively for Swachh Survekshan 2018. We strongly believe there was some error made in calculating our marks for documentation,” an official with city health department said.
Corporation commissioner N Ravichandran added that the civic body has already sent a letter to SBM seeking break-up of marks secured by Trichy in the survey particularly in documentation.
SLIP IN RANKINGS
Timeline of step by step efforts taken by Trichy Corporation for Swachh Survekshan 2018:
1) June 2017: City corporation launches segregated waste collection, degradable and non-degradable waste should be handed over to sanitary workers separately
(Segregated waste collection: 420 marks)
2) July 2017: Corporation floats initiative awarding gold coins to residents to promote segregation of waste at source. The scheme was stopped in October 2017
(Collection and transportation of waste: 420 marks)
3) August 2017: MoHUA launches Swachh Survekshan 2018 tool kit, comprising parameters taken for cleanliness survey.
4) August 2017: Corporation conducts special sensitisation programmes in colleges to promote the Swachhata Android application for reporting civic grievanc
(Popularity of Swachhata android app: 400 marks)
5) September 2017: Music Composer James Vasanthan appointed as brand ambassador of Trichy to promote Swachh Bharat campaign. ISRO scientist Mylswamy Annadurai and Chess player Jennita Anto also appointed as ambassadors
(If all brand ambassadors conduct cleanliness awareness activities: 6 marks)
6) October 2017: Corporation launches mobile point of sales to levy spot penalty on residents failing to segregate waste at source
(Spot penalty system: 28 marks)
7) November 2017: Cash award given for six corporation sanitary workers for their meritorious services in waste collection
(Negative marks (-9 marks) if corpn fails to appreciate best performing sanitary staff)
8) November 2017: City programme implementation unit (PIU) launched to oversee initiatives taken as a part of Swachh Survekshan
(Implementation of Swachh PIU: 30 marks)
9) November 2017: Corporation identifies 18 public toilets as suitable places to monetise by renting space for housing ATMs
(Revenue generation from available resource: 56 marks)
10) December 2017: Swachh city level ranking conducted for schools, hospitals, hotels, residents welfare associations and markets
(Promoting healthy competition for maintaining cleanliness: 20 marks)
11) January 2018: All junior engineers (JE) with the civic body provided each with a tablet computer to identify and address complaints lodged by residents through various online and social media platforms
(Information technology based monitoring: 16 marks)
12) February 2018: Central team from SBM inspects city for three days from February 25 to 28
Swachh Survekshan 2018:
Rank 2018 (2017)
Citizen Feedback & Swachhata
Negative marks in all 71 parameters was introduced this year. Which means, if the claims of city corporation were found incorrect by the independent assessors during field visits, the civic body concerned would get 33 percent negative marks, including zero.
Documentation was our stronghold and by seeing such poor marks we secured in documentation, there seems to be a calculative error. Though ranked at 13th spot, happy to find Trichy as cleanest city of the State
- Dr M A Aleem, member, Trichy District Welfare Fund Committee
We should analyse what went wrong and how we slipped to 13th spot in the latest survey. Retaining a position is always hard, at least by now the Corporation should focus on all parameters and not just the Solid Waste Management
-H Ghouse Baig, secretary, consumer protection council Ponmalai branch
Compared to last few years, efforts put by corporation and also by public towards Swachh Survekshan 2018 deserves praise. It is time for civic body to address the core issues instead of focussing heavily on beautification drives
- Allirani Balaji, president, Yugaa women association