HISTORY OF K.A.P.VISHWANATHAN GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE AND MAHATHMA GANDHI MEMORIAL GOVT. HOSPITAL TRICHY
Pro. Dr.M.A.Aleem M.D.D.M(Neuro) , Vice principal, HOD & Professor of Neurology, KAPV Government Medical College & MGM Government Hospital, Trichy – 620017.Tamilnadu India. Cell: 94431-59940
Jayalalitha Lay Foundation For Our Medical College:
1. On 22-12-1967, a Dance programme called “Kaveri thantha kalaiselvi” was Conducted and headed by Mr.M.G.Ramachandran in Race course ground for the purpose of raising funds to have a Govt medical college by the District welfare Committee. Followed by the Programme, Rs 33 Laksh has been sponsored through collection. During the Programme, our present chief Minister Miss .J.Jayalalitha stated that Government Medical College should be opened in Trichy for the welfare of the Public.
2. On 22-08-1968 in Trichy Township Meeting, Mr.Nammazhvar finalized and gave his opinion to open out Government Medical College at Trichy.
3. A decade later in the year 1986, Government physiotherapy College has been branched and gutter attached to our Medical College.
4. In the year 1997, Government has planned orders for opening Trichy Govt Medical College and Admissions were opened out in the year 1998 for MBBS under graduate courses.
5. In 1997, To Motive the poor students and to encourage them for their studies Trichy Annal Gandhi Memorial Govt Hospital to joined with our college.
6. Our college opening ceremony was held on 26-06-2000 Named as “Trichy K.A.P.VISHWANATHAM GOVERNMENT medical college” and it was inaugurated by then Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
7. An Auditoriam for Medical College was inaugurated by Selvi. JAYALALITHA Chief Minister of Tamilnadu On 10-03-2003.
8. In the year 2005 Our College Offered Paramedical courses like Diploma Courses in Radiology like,DRTT,DDT and Diploma in Medical Lab Technician (DMLT).
9. Paramedical certificate courses like Dialysis care Technicians, Emergence care technicians, Respiratory care technicians, Operation theater assistant, orthopedic assistant, Radiology assistant Anesthesia. Assistant courses had been started in 2005.
10. Separate Hostel Facility for 100 boys and 150 Girls were inaugurated by then chief minister of Tamilnadu On 28-01-2007.
11. Our college was developed as a post Graduate Medical Institution with in 10 year of great effort.
12. Post Graduation Courses like MD.General medicine (4 seats) and MS. General Surgery (4 seats) and MD.Obstrician and Gynecology (2 seats) were offered from 2007.
13. Tamilnadu Government had declared to start the Neuro department in the college in 18.02.2008. Because of Dr.Aleem’s effort TamilNadu Government decided to start a Neurology department in our college in the year 2008, 18th feb. All credits are given to Dr.Aleem.
14. In 2009, Postgraduation course like MD.Anesthesia (4 seats) and MD. Pediatrics (2 seats) offered at our college.
15. In the year 2011, Our Chief Minister Jayalalitha allocates Rs.3.86 Crore to construct a new Exam Hall and a cabine for our college principal.
16. Our college got 1st non clinical postgraduate couse in bio chemistry (2 Seats ) in the year 2013
17. Our college get permission from MCI for 100 MBBS sets on 08.08.1998 Approval of our college for MBBS by MCI on 24.12.2003 and continuation of recognition for 100 seat MBBS admission approved by MCI on 02.07.2013.
18. Our college get permission to increase MBBS seat from 100 to 150 for MCI on 30.07.2013.
19. Our college in raking between 3 to 6 for MBBS admission choice by student in the selection of college during MBBS admission courcilling conducted by the govt of Tamilnadu.
Jayalalitha Taken Up Our Hospital to the height:
1. Trichy District Hospital is a historic hospital which was started in Gandhi Market place in 1857 and running more than 156 years.
2. Gandhiji Memorial Government head Quatres Hospital was Constructed at present hospital campus in year 15.07.1950 under the custody Chief Minister P.S.KUMARASAMYRAJA.
3. In the year 1969, Mahathma Gandhi Century Memorial in patient building was constructed.
4. In Gandhi Memorial hospital Outpatient’s block was constructed in the year 1960 June 21. It was inaugurated by then Health Minister in the year 28.01.1961.
5. X-Ray Department was started in the year 1966.
6. Building for Pediatric Department was opened in the year 31.12.1967 by then chief minister C.N.Annadurai and it was Named as EVR Maniymmai Block.
7. In 1973, New block for Sidda Treatment was introduced.
8. Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery hostel was inaugurated by the Health Minister in the year 10.03.1974.
9. Intensive Care Unit was inaugurated by the Tamilnadu Governar Mr.Mohanlal Sugathiya in 12.01.1976.
10. In 05.01.1977, Tamilnadu Government Rajaji TB Hospital was annexed with our Hospital.
11. Maternity ward and Emergency ward was inaugurated by Social welfare Minister in 04.11.1977.
12. Blood Bank was inaugurated in the year 1979.
13. In 1980, January Our Hospital name was changed as Annal Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital.
14. Nursing Schoole was inaugurated in the year 1980.
15. Separate Hostel for Nursing School was opened by then Health Minister in the year 28.04.1985.
16. Separate Laboratory for AIDS was opened in 1990.
17. Trichy Annal Gandhi memorial Government Hospital had changed as a Teaching Hospital after annexed with K.A.P.Vishwanatham Govt Medical College in 1997.
18. Ophthalmology Department was inaugurated in 26.01.1997.
19. Computer Tomography (CT) Scan was open by Tamilnadu Food minister in 28.03.1997.
20. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Scan Facility was inaugurated by the Chief Minister in the year 29.09.2007.
21. Hostel Facility for Postgraduate Medical students and CRRI had introduced by the health minister in 17.04.2010.
22. New building for Psychiatry Inpatients was inaugurated by then Chief Minister in 08.09.2010.
23. Uninterrupted power supoly for our hospital was inaugurated by then transport minister of Tamilnadu on 25.01.2011.
24. Tamilnadu Government Provide 6.26 crore to construct a new building for maternal infant section in 24.01.2011.
25. Selvi.Jayalalitha renders Rs.100 crore to improve our hospital as a super speciality hospital in 24.01.2012.
26. Tamilnadu Government had declared to change the name of Annal Gandhi memorial Government Hospital to Mahathma Gandhi Memorial Govt Hospital in 31.07.2012.
I am very thankful to chief Minister selvi.Jayalalaitha for her full support to the upliftment of our college and hospital. She only is rendering the basement for the upliftment of our college there his her Dance Programme “Kaveri thantha kalaiselvi” in the year Dec 23, 1967. She had denoted us nearly 100 crores without any record to have a superspeciality hospital in Trichy.
Once again I thank to her on behalf of Myself, dean, staffs, Students. Publics and politicians of Trichy.
Pro. Dr.M.A.Aleem M.D.D.M(Neuro) , Vice principal, HOD & Professor of Neurology, KAPV Government Medical College MGM Government Hospital, Trichy – 620017. Tamilnadu India. Cell: 94431-59940